The Bronze Medallion course focuses on developing the participants’ survival and rescue skills enabling them to make the correct decisions in an aquatic emergency. The Bronze Medallion course will enhance your personal survival skills while providing you with the knowledge and skills to develop the level of judgement, technique and physical ability required to safely perform water rescues. The lifesaving skills learnt and developed through the program are a great introduction to becoming a Pool Lifeguard.
Upon successful completion of the course you will receive a RLSSA Bronze Medallion Certificate.
This delivery mode allows the candidate to cover the topics and assessments of a Bronze Medallion course in one day. Candidates complete a workbook prior to attending the course. A Swimming and Lifesaving manual and workbook are sent to the candidate upon enrolment.
- Resuscitation: Demonstrate effective CPR.
- Swim: Swim 400 metres continuously within 13 minutes (100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke, 100m survival backstroke, 100m sidestroke).
- Timed Tow: Swim 50 metres and tow a patient 50m within 3 min 15 seconds.
- Survival and Rescue Skills: Demonstrate a range of survival techniques and appropriate rescues for a range of different aquatic environments and scenarios.
- Spinal Injuries: Basic management of a suspected spinal injury in shallow water.
- Rescue Initiative: Demonstrate initiative in effecting a rescue of two people who are in difficulty up to 15 metres from safety.
All candidates are required to successfully complete a range of practical assessments and a theory exam. Please note: this course requires practical application of Resuscitation that will require kneeling on the floor; a range of first aid practical scenarios; and a range of swimming and rescue application skills. Candidates need to successfully complete all the practical components under the award conditions in order to achieve certification.
Resources and Equipment
You’ll be sent the learning resources prior to the course that you’ll be required to bring to the assessment session. You will be required to bring writing material for note taking.
It is essential that the pre learning is completed prior to the face to face assessment session.
All other course resources will be provided.
The certification is valid for 12 months and a reaccreditation needs to be completed prior to expiry.